There’s more than enough practical evidence to show that essential oils have a lot of benefits.
These oils range from lavender to avocado, and there’s a wide array of ways to integrate them into your life, but one of the most popular is using an oil diffuser.
A good oil diffuser will ensure that you can have a valuable aromatherapy session that brings with it many benefits.
Best Essential Oil Diffusers 2019
|Item||Water Capacity||Range||Auto Shut-off?|
|dōTERRA Petal Diffuser||150ml||330 square feet||Yes|
|Smiley Daisy Essential Oil Diffuser||350ml||200 square feet||Yes|
|GreenAir Spa Vapor 2.0 All New Essential Oil Diffuser||150ml||150 square feet||No|
|VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential||300ml||270 square feet||Yes|
|PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser||120ml||250 square feet||Yes|
|URPOWER 400ml Wood Grain Essential Oil Diffuser||400ml||400 square feet||Yes|
|URPOWER 2nd Gen 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser Night Light||300ml||200 square feet||Yes|
|ZAQ Allay Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser||80ml||300 square feet||Yes|
|Smiley Daisy Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser||100ml||200 square feet||Yes|
|Simway Aromatherapy 300mL Ultrasonic Cool Mist Aroma Diffuser||300ml||150 square feet||Yes|
Related: Here is the list of the best essential oils
1) dōTERRA Petal Diffuser
Our first product is a device produced by dōTERRA that is fairly popular for its strong performance. It has a good range that will produce mist with a circulation of 330 feet, which means that this is a product that’s great for large rooms. In fact, for full-room reach, this is a fast product; it only takes about eight seconds for maximum coverage. The product does also produce a soft white light that’s pleasant for those trying to relax and unwind.
The mist produced is very spread out and typically lasts for at least an hour. The device itself is also very sturdy and should last for years.
- This product has a simplistic design that fits any décor.
- It has a large coverage of 330 square feet.
- The light produced by this product only comes in white.
- It doesn’t come with a pitcher to refill the water supply.
2) Smiley Daisy Essential Oil Diffuser
One of the best features of the Smiley Daisy oil diffuser is its compactness. This product is hardly noticeable when placed on a shelf yet has an excellent level of performance. It’s even set on rubber feet, which allows the product to adhere to most smooth surfaces so that it stays put. Additionally, the Daisy also has an excellent vapor output that has a lot of reach and lasts for more than an hour. The product even has seven LED colors to choose from during operation.
- This is a very quiet product that also has a strong vapor output.
- The rubber feet and strong build quality mean that this product will last.
- This is a super-compact product that is hardly noticeable.
- This product can seem a little too squat for some users.
3) GreenAir Spa Vapor 2.0 All New
This product, from GreenAir, is a good option for anyone that’s on a budget. While it doesn’t have a long runtime, it definitely will ensure that your essential oils are diffused into the air. It has an onboard light that will shine a gentle light blue so that you’ll have a relaxing night light. This is also a very attractive product that will fit in with just about any décor. This product features directional misting that will allow you to apply your aromatherapy effect in whichever area you want.
- This is a very budget-friendly product that has a good overall performance.
- It’s easy to focus the vapor in a specific area via the directional misting feature.
- This product is definitely somewhat noisy, which is problematic for nighttime use.
- It only has a 150ml tank, which means that it only has a four-hour runtime.
4) VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Humidifier Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
Physical appearance is something that’s very important in an essential oil diffuser; the aesthetic has to fit the product’s usage so that you can relax and let the mist do its work. This product from VicTsing is aesthetically pleasing and has a wood grain exterior that comes in five different varieties of wood. It has a built-in timer that has four modes, and it still packs in an LED light that will produce seven colors to relax by. This product also adds humidity the area more than adequately.
- The LED lights have several different modes that will help you create ambiance.
- The product has enough water to last up to eight hours.
- Each of the five color options has a very natural-looking design.
- It beeps really loudly when it runs out of water.
5) PureSpa Deluxe Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser
This is another attractive product that has a design that really helps it spread the negative ions of the oil into the air efficiently. The design of this product is so elegant that it would be easily at home in most yoga studios or aromatherapy businesses. This product also has a very high-performing design; it’ll last a full eight hours on a full water reservoir. For coverage, this product projects mist at a range of 250 square feet.
- The PureSpa Deluxe has a runtime that can go as high as 10 hours.
- With such a long runtime, it’s easy to keep a room smelling of essential oils.
- Due to its lower water capacity, this product has a limited mist output.
- This isn’t the quietest oil diffuser on our list.
6) URPOWER 400ml Wood Grain Essential Oil Diffuser
One of the best features of this product is its aesthetically pleasing wood design. In addition to this, the product is multidirectional and will project mist at a range of 400 square feet. The tank is a large capacity model that’ll hold 400ml of water so that you can rest assured that this diffuser will last for hours. This product uses several modes to provide varying levels of mist, which can be useful when you want to conserve water.
- It has seven unique lighting modes to choose from.
- The product will shut off when it runs out of water.
- This URPOWER device is BPA free so that no chemicals end up in your air.
- It has a tendency to gather condensation, which can damage anything underneath it.
7) URPOWER 2nd Gen 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser Night Light
This URPOWER product has a nice portable design that makes it easy to take with you on the go. It also has a largish tank capacity of 300ml that means that it should provide several hours per refill. This product also has a 200 square feet range and also has seven onboard LEDs that will color change and provide a unique ambiance for whatever space you keep it in. To reduce chemical exposure, this product is completely BPA-free.
- This is a taller diffuser that has a very attractive design.
- It will produce seven different colors by way of its LED lights.
- The product is very portable so that you can take it with you.
- It can be a bit too bright to be a nightlight.
8) ZAQ Allay Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
The ZAQ Allay Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser is another great option that is designed to mist the space with essential oils without making a sound. This is a diffuser that is a little larger than some of the ones that we have reviewed, but at 4.3 inches by 8.7 inches, it’s ideal for a larger space or a yoga studio. The cone that is located on the top of the diffuser changes color as the session progresses, which can be soothing, and there’s an auto shutoff feature in case you fall asleep.
- This is an energy efficient diffuser, so it’s more environmentally friendly than some.
- The diffuser can run for a period of four hours at a time.
- There is not a water cup included to fill the small reservoir.
9) Smiley Daisy Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
If you are looking for an elegant essential oil diffuser that is going to look great in your home, the Smiley Daisy Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser is a great option to consider. It has a bell-shaped design that is either red or blue in coloration with flower designed along the exterior of it. These designs are color changing LED displays that will change during your session. The mist and the light can both be controlled by the unit, so you can set the mood that you want when you lull yourself to sleep.
- There is an automatic shutoff feature that you can use.
- The diffuser is very light, making it great for travel.
- The water reservoir is not as large as it could be.
10) Simway Aromatherapy 300mL Ultrasonic Cool Mist Aroma Diffuser
The final product that we are going to review in this guide is the Simway Aromatherapy Ultrasonic Cool Mist Aroma Diffuser. The unit is designed to look like a vase that is wooden with beautiful African accents painted near the base of the diffuser. If you want to change the mood when you are engaging in an aromatherapy session, you can change the color of the artwork to one of seven different options. There are also four timers that you can set to accommodate your needs.
- The mist setting can be adjusted to create more or less of a scent.
- The LED mood lights can be dimmed to set a relaxing mood.
- The unit needs to be plugged in before you can add essential oil.
Oil Diffusers: A Buyer’s Guide
What are some common essential oils used in aromatherapy?
There are literally hundreds of essential oils that are used for a myriad of purposes around the globe, but that being said, the most commonly used are:
- Clary sage
- Cedar Wood
- Ylang Ylang
- Roman chamomile
- Tree tea
Each of these essential oils is perfect for making the body feel better, increasing the mood, and providing a general sense of well being. Some smell better than others, but if you’re looking for something to relax, consider eucalyptus or lavender. If you’re looking for something with immediate health benefits, clary sage and chamomile are excellent choices.
How does an essential oil diffuser work?
Essential oil diffusers effectively diffuse essential oil into the air so that you can benefit from them. You simply select a location for the diffuser to work in, add water if the diffuser uses water for the process, and add the oils to the topmost surface of the diffuser. Typically, you won’t need a lot of water to start the process, and over time, the oil will gradually diffuse into the environment, which will produce a pleasant scent and deliver the effects of the diffused oil to anyone in range of the aromatherapy scent.
Are there some oils that are safe for kids around the age of two?
Fortunately, there are a few oils that can be diffused relatively safely around toddlers, but as a general rule, never exceed a two percent volume of oil when you’re diffusing around a small child. Effectively, this means that you can usually use about 20 drops per ounce of added carrier oil. Some safe oils in this range are clary sage, black pepper, and frankincense.
What’s a good location in your home for an essential oil diffuser?
As a general rule, it’s a good idea to create an aromatherapy environment where the scent will have the most space to cover. For this reason, many people have a tendency to use their diffusers in their living rooms, and in this room, you can even diffuse while you’re watching your television or relaxing on the couch. You can also diffuse oil with a non-heating diffuser in your bedroom while you rest; many people find that they wake up feeling more refreshed when they wake. There are even stronger products that can work as the best essential oil diffuser for large space homes.
Should you use carrier oil in your essential oil diffuser?
When you want to extend the life of a particular aromatherapy oil, you can actually employ a carrier oil in order to have a longer aromatherapy session. Carrier oils are oils like olive or jojoba oil that come from natural botanicals similarly to essential oils. The chief difference is that these oils are typically scentless, but have the ability to stretch out the lastingness of the essential oils so that you can enjoy your session for a longer duration.
Can you use a candle warmer instead of a diffuser?
While you can technically diffuse your oils this way, typically, this greatly reduces the effectiveness of the essential oils. In fact, it’s estimated that essential oils become more than 70 percent less effective when you use a candle warmer. It’s important to understand that candle warmers aren’t designed for this use, so it’s best to just purchase an essential oil diffuser when you want aromatherapy.
Can you mix essential oils in a diffuser?
This is probably one of the best features of a modern diffuser – with one, you can mix different carrier oils so that you can combine some of the benefits of both. Additionally, you’ll be able to create some truly unique scents. In most cases, it’s a good idea to mix only the oils from the same grouping of uses – it’s simply a bad idea to mix an oil that’s meant to help you relax with one that’s designed to provide energy.
What are some systems that oil diffusers use to diffuse the scent?
On the market today, you’ll usually find vapor, heat, and ultrasonic essential oil diffusers, and each uses a different system to provide aromatherapy experiences. Here’s how each works:
- Vapor: These types of oil diffusers use air to pull the oils, which are positioned in the bottom of the diffuser, up through a tube. Once the oils are at the top, they are released as a fine mist that works its way into the air as a vapor. These are unheated diffusers, and vapor diffusers also have the bonus of being releasing fairly concentrated oil into the environment.
- Heated: If you’re looking to not spend a heap of cash, heated diffusers are very inexpensive. These also have a tendency to come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but in general, you’ll be using a small candle or votive to heat the oil in a small upper platform. These are easy to use, but due to the release of heat, these can also break down the essential oils so that they aren’t as effective.
- Ultrasonic: As the name implies, ultrasonic essential oil diffusers use sound waves to diffuse the oils into the air. Typically used in conjunction with water, these diffusers cause the oils, which are combined with water, to break down into molecules that are then diffused into the air in the form of negative ions.
Can you set the length of time an oil diffuser diffusers?
If you have a tendency to be forgetful, a good vapor-style or ultrasonic diffuser will sometimes include a timer. In fact, some products even have multiple timers onboard that will ensure that the diffusion process ceases after a preset amount of time elapses. These are typically high-tech diffusers, but many fans of essential oils love these types.
Can your pets be in the room during aromatherapy treatments?
Amazingly, there’s a branch of aromatherapy that’s specifically designed to calm your pet. That being said, never attempt to use an essential oil for your furry friend without consulting your veterinarian; some essential oils can actually cause liver and kidney problems for your pet, so exercise caution. For example, melaleuca oil should never be used in a household with a cat and oils like cinnamon, citrus, and ylang ylang are problematic for both dogs and cats.
Should you clean your diffuser after use?
If possible, your essential oil diffuser should be cleaned at least every use. While the cleaning requirements of your product will vary from device to device, it’s crucial to maintain your diffuser as well as possible. This is due to the fact that the oils can gradually cause damage to the diffuser’s gentle components. Just remember to fully drain the diffuser before each clean and use cotton swabs to really clean hard to reach surfaces.
What essential oils are good for boosting your mood?
There are several essential oils that can help enhance your mood and sense of well-being. These include:
- Grapefruit oil
- Lemon oil
- Lavender oil
- Cinnamon oil
- Peppermint oil
Each of these also will add a pleasant scent to the air that’s refreshing and light. Some of these will also boost alertness, focus, and will reduce mental fatigue as well.
What essential oils are good for boosting energy?
The world has an addiction to coffee, which isn’t in any way healthy, but most people consider it an essential drink because of its energy-boosting properties. Fortunately, you can avoid drinking coffee altogether and gain extra energy with the use of some important essential oils. These include:
- Orange oil
- Lemon oil
- Lime oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Rosemary oil
- Thyme oil
- Basil oil
- Lemongrass oil
Many of these oils are compatible, so feel free to mix up your own solutions using carrier oils and water if you need to thin out the mixture some. Some of these essential oils have other functions like stress relief and increased cognitive function.
Are there good essential oils for insomnia?
When you have a non-heated essential oil diffuser, you can use essential oils to actually help reduce sleeplessness. Here are few that you can use:
- Roman chamomile oil
- Bergamot oil
- Cedarwood oil
- Marjoram oil
- Sandalwood oil
- Ylang ylang oil
- Lavender oil
Simply diffuse these into your bedroom at night before you go to sleep, and you’ll have an easier time falling asleep. Some will even improve your mood and make you feel more at ease, which will help you have a more restful sleep.
What are some good extra features to look for?
To sweeten the oil diffuser deal, some manufacturers include additional features that boost the versatility of the oil diffuser. These include:
- LED lighting – This can be useful when you’re diffusing in a dark room; it provides something of a “night light effect.”
- Large range mists – Not all diffusers can reach a large area of space, so when you want to really proliferate a large room, purchasing one with a good range is important. Fortunately, there are products on the market with ranges of up to 350 feet.
- Sleep Timers – Some products will allow you to set the diffuser to stop diffusing after a preset amount of time. This is perfect for those that want to conserve energy/oil during the night.
How much oil should go in a diffuser?
When you’re diffusing oil, you don’t want to overdo it. Typically, 10 to 20 drops into the diffuser will allow you to experience aromatherapy benefits without making the air too heavy with scent. If you’re planning to mix, mileage will vary, but dilute with water if needed.
Out of the types of essential oil diffusers, which is better, vapor, heat, or ultrasonic, which is best?
The most popular form of essential oil diffuser is ultrasonic, and this is for a reason. Ultrasonic products are safe, they diffuse oil quicker, and they tend to last a while on a small amount of oil. These are also the simplest to use; fill with water and add the oil that you want to use.
Wrapping It Up
Essential oils can really provide you with a lot of benefits, and finding the right diffuser will be much easier now that you’ve used this guide. The products that we’ve selected are all designed to provide your home with an aromatherapy boost, so take another look at our reviews so that you can find the best product for your home. If none work for your needs, we’ve answered many questions in the FAQ section that will help you find your ideal product.