Find the best bluetooth adapter for your computer?
This guide will give you all the information you need about Bluetooth adapters.
Here’s a list of the top 10 bluetooth dongles:
Best Bluetooth Adapters 2019
|Asus USB-BT400 |
|32.8 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Avantree Long Range |
|60 ft.||4.0||40 ms|
|H.Guard Bluetooth ||165 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Plugable USB Bluetooth ||32 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Avantree Bluetooth Dongle ||30 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Zexmte Bluetooth Adapter ||33 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Cable Matters USB Bluetooth ||30 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Highever Bluetooth Adapter ||65 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Sabrent USB Bluetooth Adapter ||30 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
|Kinivo BTD-400 ||30 ft.||4.0||3 Mbps|
1. Asus BT-400 Bluetooth Adapter: Best Bluetooth Dongle
- Bluetooth Low Energy support
- Backward compatible
- Software required for older Windows OS
2. Avantree Bluetooth USB Adapter Long Range: Best Bluetooth Adapters for PC Gaming
- Low latency audio
- External sound cloud allows for secure device transfer
- Only compatible with Bluetooth audio
- FastStream headphones required for simultaneous talk
3. H.Guard Bluetooth Adapter: Best Bluetooth Adapters for Windows
- Universal Windows compatibility
- FCC and CE security features
- Low power use
- Not compatible with Apple products
4. Plugable USB Bluetooth Adapter
- Windows 10 low energy compatible
- Windows 10 Plug and Play
- Works with Raspberry Pi/Linux
- Not compatible with Apple/Mac products
- Radio interference when using USB 3.0
5. Avantree Bluetooth USB Dongle Adapter
6. Zexmte Bluetooth USB Adapter
- Bluetooth Low Energy technology (4.0)
- Backward compatible with Bluetooth 3.0/2.1/2.0/1.1
- Drivers required for Windows 7 and older
- Short range not optimal for house audio systems
7. Cable Matters USB Bluetooth Adapter
- Enables older devices to add Bluetooth capabilities
- Lage number of paired devices supported
- Not compatible with car audio or TVs
- Some devices may need separate software
8. Highever Bluetooth Adapter
- Encryption and authentication features
- Fast data transfer rates
- Wideband audio support
- A low range of use
9. Sabrent BT-UB40 Bluetooth Adapter
- Low-profile design for portability
- Provides internet access to PC
- Wireless file transfer between devices
- Linux support requires driver installation
10. Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth Adapter
- Small and portable design
- Plug and play with newer Windows versions
- Lack of Apple compatibility
Buyer’s Guide: 16 Common Bluetooth Adapter Questions
Understanding the different features of Bluetooth adapters can help to make the selection process easier. Here are some common Bluetooth adapter questions.
Pros and Cons of Bluetooth Adapters
No product is perfect because there is always something that makes it not that perfect. Here are some of the pros and cons of using Bluetooth technology.
- Wireless all the way: the biggest advantage of Bluetooth technology is that it decreases the number of long cords that you may have to use with your devices. Making you cord-free and your devices out and about without the bunch of wires sticking out of them. With the increase in the use of devices by us today, the need for a clutter-free technology is becoming more popular. This also increases the mobility of devices, where there is no worry about carrying the extra leads.
- No need for a clear line of sight: like infrared technology the devices connected need to be facing each other, but that’s not the case here. Bluetooth devices need to be in close proximity but they need not be facing each other and nothing in between them would disrupt the signal even if the devices are in separate rooms.
- Range: these Bluetooth adapters can offer range up to 100 meters, but that depends on your use whether you want more range or less. As there are different classes of Bluetooth adapters that offer a variety of ranges. And so making you the decision maker of which class to use.
- Low charge plus low battery use: low is the way to go with Bluetooth technology. Using Bluetooth takes very little power; this makes it an ideal tool to use for electronic devices. Using Bluetooth adapter with laptops will be great due to the low-power consumption option. The other best thing about Bluetooth is that it is free of charge. How awesome does one feel when you receive a benefit and that too without having to spend any penny from your pocket. There would be no extra bill that you would have to add to your monthly budget like you have to do for Wi-Fi or other services. There are a few things in the world that are free and using Bluetooth is among them!
- Simplicity: the fact that everybody can figure out how to connect two devices together through Bluetooth is one of the biggest reasons for its popularity. The simplicity and ease with which one can use Bluetooth connection are one of its biggest advantages.
- Security on point: the data that you transfer through Bluetooth is well protected. Other Bluetooth connections need your acceptance in order to be connected to your device, which makes you in control of with whom to share your files.
- Transferring speed: even though Bluetooth is cheap and can transfer data without any difficult but Wi-Fi direct is giving it some tough competition.
- Everything Bluetooth: in order to connect your mouse, keypad, tablet etc. to your PC, you need to make sure these devices support a Bluetooth connection. So buying mouse or keypad that supports Bluetooth can be a little expensive. But the investment is a one-time thing and after that, you can enjoy wireless cheap connection for a long time.
- Not very user-friendly: it is very easy to use a Bluetooth connection once it is setup and configured. But the initial configuration can be very complex for some devices. Some Bluetooth devices like printer, a keypad may ask to walk the user through an installation wizard or some may need the user to enter a command into the command prompt. But once everything is setup then that’s where the fun begins.
- Insecurity: Bluetooth connection is safe from hackers or data theft but it may face some interference from other Bluetooth devices. If you work where there are a lot of Bluetooth users then you may find your keypad typing words on someone else’s system. This can be a problem and so in order to avoid it, you will have to increase the distance between his and your desk.
The pros definitely outweigh the cons. Bluetooth is a great invention and is bringing a new meaning to the word ease.
Factors to consider before buying a Bluetooth Adapter/FAQ’s
There are a few things you need to consider before rushing off to buy the best Bluetooth adapter. These considerations include distance range, compatibility, pairing, and class. (All of them discuss below in detail)
No need to get all confused because these are just fancy words for something very simple.
we all have a bunch of selective devices that we use more. So before buying Bluetooth adapter, you must careful to see whether this adapter supports the devices that you may be using it. These devices can be from different categories like printers, keyboards, tablets, speakers, headsets etc. So choose the adapter which will be worth bragging about.
you can be a user of Mac, Windows, Vista or any other system. But what you need to be careful about is if the Bluetooth Adapter you are buying is compatible with the system that you are using or not. It shouldn’t be the case if you spend your hard-earned money on an adapter and then you come home to find that it’s not compatible with the PC or laptop that you are using. This is especially for Mac users because not all Bluetooth adapters work well with this system. So be vigilant and don’t give yourself an unpleasant surprise after purchasing your new adapter.
Make sure your Bluetooth adapter is using 4.0 technology:
Another important factor that you must keep a look out for is that your Bluetooth adapter should be supporting the new 4.0 Bluetooth technology. This technology can now offer more range meaning can connect to devices at a distance. Plus it also consumes less energy than before, which is great for laptops because they are usually running on charged battery. 4.0 technology is backward compatible and can connect to devices which are still using older Bluetooth technologies like the 3.0, 2.1, 2.0 versions. So as you guys can see that buying the adapter with the latest technology will be of a great benefit to you.
Class 1 vs. Class 2
Reviewing the differences between class 1 and class 2 Bluetooth adapters would not only help you to figure out which one to buy but also increase your know-how about Bluetooth technology. Bluetooth adapters make your computer system capable of supporting Bluetooth devices without built-in Bluetooth hardware. And so you need to see which adapter would suit you best.
Class 1 adapters are better for industrial devices that require long-distance connectivity and class 2 are better suited to consumer devices that don’t need connections to be over very long distances. Some of the distances between class 1 and class 2 adapters are listed below.
Bluetooth network is known as personal area network (PAN) also called a piconet. Devices connect to this piconet in order to exchange data and communicate with other devices, for example, your PC connects to your printer through Bluetooth adapter. If this adapter belongs to class 1 then the piconet established will extend further than a class 2 adapter. Class 1 adapters allow connection to be made over 100m or 330 feet where class 2 piconet is not over 10 m. Considering just the range you will say class 1 is the winner, but that’s not the case because in the daily routine you don’t need that much range.
Both the Bluetooth adapters come with antennas so that a stronger connection could be established between the devices. But the difference is that as class 1 provides with a longer range so it needs a larger antenna and in some cases, it also comes with an external antenna. On the other hand, class 2 has a built-in antenna that’s hidden behind the casing, as it does not require any outward antenna.
The other greater difference between the two adapters is power consumption. Since class 1 adapters need to send signals over longer distances it consumes larger amounts of power compared to class 2 Bluetooth adapters. If class 1 adapters are connected to a PC which derives energy from other outlets then this would result in greater energy bills. But if the system is battery operated like laptops then recharging would be more frequent.
As stated above class 1 adapters are better for industrial purposes, for example, it can be connected to an Ethernet port to make internet access wireless for all. Also, this adapter can replace a hardwired serial cable with a Bluetooth link. On the contrary, the class 2 adapters are best to connect tablets or PCs to a pair of Bluetooth headsets or for similar short-range connections.
Above we have given a complete understanding of the difference between different types of Bluetooth adapters. So that now it will become easy for you to choose an adapter and go wireless yourself.
- Best Bluetooth Adapters 2019
- 1. Asus BT-400 Bluetooth Adapter: Best Bluetooth Dongle
- 2. Avantree Bluetooth USB Adapter Long Range: Best Bluetooth Adapters for PC Gaming
- 3. H.Guard Bluetooth Adapter: Best Bluetooth Adapters for Windows
- 4. Plugable USB Bluetooth Adapter
- 5. Avantree Bluetooth USB Dongle Adapter
- 6. Zexmte Bluetooth USB Adapter
- 7. Cable Matters USB Bluetooth Adapter
- 8. Highever Bluetooth Adapter
- 9. Sabrent BT-UB40 Bluetooth Adapter
- 10. Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth Adapter
- Buyer’s Guide: 16 Common Bluetooth Adapter Questions
- Pros and Cons of Bluetooth Adapters
- Factors to consider before buying a Bluetooth Adapter/FAQ’s