Quick Update 2017: The Best Cheap Mountain Bike for most people is the Merax Finiss Mountain Bike. It gets an average rating on Amazon and is available in 3 excellent color choice. In addition, the bike features an aluminum light weight bike frame, Shimano 21-speed Derailleurs and 26″ Double Wall Aluminum Rims.
This post lists and reviews some of the Top Rated and even Best Sellers out there!
The bikes listed here are manufactured by some of the tops of the line brands out there such as Diamondback, Schwinn, Mongoose, and others. You’ve probably heard of these brands before.
There are basically two types of mountain bikes: Hard Tail and Dual Suspension. (Described in more detail later in this post ).
Top 7 Affordable, High Quality Mountain Bikes
The Bicycles reviewed below are not in any particular order. All of these bikes are best sellers. You can check out the bikes under $200, $300, $400, $500 and $1000 mark. The list contain both hardtail and dual suspension ( sometimes called Full Suspension ) bikes.
Also, a foldable, cheap mountain bike on the 7th spot.
Diamondback Sorrento mountain bike under $400
The diamondback Sorrento mountain bikes gets the top spot on the list. ( Check Out the Current Price Here ). The Bike is basically a Hard Tail bike.
It is one of my favorite bicycles mainly because despite being an under $500 bike range, the bike offers one of the best mountain bike experience. And perhaps compete against those $1,xxx-2, xxx range bicycles.
I also particularly find the design of the bike outstanding. And despite being a hardtail bike, it is really comfortable. The bicycle is well built and one of the Diamondback’s most famous bicycles out there.
The bikes are really easy to assemble. However, reading the reviews on amazon, some users do complain about the manual being vague and unclear. I think setting up the bike won’t be a problem as everything is pretty straight forward and intuitive.
The bike is available in various sizes – You can check out on the Sales page. Not particularly the cheapest mountain bike out there but offers huge bang for the buck.
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
Another very popular choice among riders.
However, do consider the fact that this is a Full suspension bike and that’s relatively pricey than the hardtail types. This actually makes the bike really cheap yet offers excellent quality.
I like this bike as it is comfortable and offers some of the best features a mountain bike can offer. Such as:
- Aluminum Frame
- MTB Handlebar
- Shimano Trigger Shifters
- Pro Max Front Disc Brake
Another awesome feature the bike has to offers are the Alloy Rims although tire quality isn’t that great. Overall, the bike is well built and durable. The assembly set up is simple. However, some of the users do recommend spending some bucks getting help from a bike shop while tuning the bike. Overall, list under excellent cheap mountain bikes.
Mongoose Women’s Status 2.2 Bicycle under $200
Ranks #1 in women category. The bike is affordable, fine quality and kinda looks cool. ( Check out the Updates Price and Discount here )
Probably, the reason it is really popular is the fact that it is a Full suspension bike plus offers comfort, durability and quality components.
The bike also rides smooth. And also, the supplier offers one of the best customer services, in case anything goes wrong. Again, the bike is pretty easy to assemble but may need a little bit of tuning from a bicycle expert.
In Short: I’d highly recommend this bike if you have $200 budget or less. Although the bike isn’t perfect. Some parts may need improvement. However, at this price point, the bike is absolutely terrific!
Diamondback Bicycles 2015 Recoil Full Suspension under $1000
The list includes another popular ride by Diamondback.
The Bike is available in 16, 18 and 20 inch sizes. Now this bike, though a bit expensive, is the real deal. The bike is simply outstanding and a really good investment.
You might want to check out this video review by amazon user “Steve” ( Top 100 User in the store ) – This guy did an excellent review on the bike and points out some of the important details.
- The Bike is easy to assemble
- Better suited to more professional riders.
- Smooth, durable and extremely well built.
- Competes for more expensive bikes and stand toe to toe. In fact, would beat some of the over $1000 mark bikes.
Overall: Great Bike. Isn’t particularly a cheap mountain bike. However, great bike and recommended for people looking to use a bicycle to ride for a long time.
Diamondback Bicycles 2014 Overdrive Sports Mountain Bike
Another Diamondback bike: The 2014 Overdrive Sports Mountain Bike.
Some of the key feature of the bikes:
- Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Shimano Acera rear derailleur
- Great looks and color
- Aluminum Frame
- Rapid fire shifters.
- Available in 18 & 20 inches
- weighs around 27 lbs ( mainly that depends on the bike size )
Mongoose Impasse Full Suspension Bicycle under $300
Mongoose is a well-reputed bike company. The Mongoose Impasse Dual Full Suspension Bicycle is a 29-inch bike that gets outstanding ratings.
The bike offers great features. Here are some of them listed:
- Currently Ranks #1 in dual Suspension as of 2015
- Aluminum suspension frame
- Element Suspension fork
- 21 speed Shimano rear derailleur
- Alloy wheels
- Alloy front & rear disc brakes
The bike gets mixed reviews. Almost 70% people gave this bike 4 or 5 Stars – which is excellent. I’d recommend this bike to people just starting out. I think its a pretty good entry level bike. Also, ranks on the number one spot in full suspension category of mountain bikes – Particularly because of the fact the bike offers a low price and provides great value to riders. Conclusion: Great Entry Level Cheap Mountain Bicycle.
Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Cheap Mountain Bike
Lastly, the folding bicycle by Stowabike also makes this list.
This bike is ideal for people looking for a mountain bicycle that they can carry anywhere during travel. Good for people having less space at home. You actually seldom see a combination of both mountain and foldable bike.
- Dual Suspension!
- Foldable, light, easily carried & stored
- Offers 18 speeds in total.
- Alloy body spring shock
- Wheel size —- 26 inches
The bike gets 4/5 ratings out of total 5, almost 70% of the time – which is awesome. At this price point, it is perhaps the cheapest foldable mountain bike that you can get.
So now that you have read about the Top 7 picks, I’d like to explain you the basic difference between the two types of bikes available under this category: Hard Tail & Dual Suspension.
Hard Tail & Dual-Suspension Mountain Bicycles
If you have been riding mountain bikes for a while, you would know the difference between the two different styles. Even if you don’t, let me briefly explain it briefly below.
Hardtail bicycles basically do not have a rear suspension. Originally none of the bikes under mountain type had rear suspension. They were all Hardtail however they were not liked by many riders as these bikes were rigid and some considered them less comfortable. These bikes do feature a front suspension fork.
On the other hand, Dual Suspension has “rear suspension with a rear shock & linkage” according to Wikipedia.
What type is good for you?
Go for Hard Tail mountain bicycles if:
- You want an overall simpler ( mechanically ) bicycle. As there are less moving parts, specifically a pivot – You spend less on repair and going to the bike shops often.
- You would like a relatively lighter bike. These are lighter due to fewer parts.
- They are mostly ( not always ) less pricey than the Dual / full suspension type.
Go for Dual Suspension Bicycles if:
- You want a relatively comfortable bike. Many riders prefer this category because of the same reason.
- You get a lot better handling and suspension. Go for this, if you particularly picky on handling and suspension.
- They are also better for long rides. This is mainly because you feel less exhausted at the end of the long ride as these are better to ride. However, this also makes them less challenging. So, if you are love challenges go for the other type.
Hopefully, this puts you on the right track. I’d probably choose the Dual suspension, simply because i like to stay comfortable while riding. After all riding should be fun!
- A guide to the 10 types of bikes – Homepage.
- Top of the Line Road bicycle you can get.
- Guide to the best and top sellers in fixie bikes.
- Best Rated and Most Liked Folding Bikes
- A Guide to the best entry level road bicycles.
What Cheap Mountain Bike do you think really stand out?
Think the post was awesome? – Tell us by commenting below.
- 1 Top 7 Affordable, High Quality Mountain Bikes
- 2 Diamondback Sorrento mountain bike under $400
- 3 Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
- 4 Mongoose Women’s Status 2.2 Bicycle under $200
- 5 Diamondback Bicycles 2015 Recoil Full Suspension under $1000
- 6 Diamondback Bicycles 2014 Overdrive Sports Mountain Bike
- 7 Mongoose Impasse Full Suspension Bicycle under $300
- 8 Stowabike Folding Dual Suspension Cheap Mountain Bike
- 9 Hard Tail & Dual-Suspension Mountain Bicycles